Most homes have small spaces somewhere that no one is quite sure what to do with. Here are some of the best tips to utilize that space so that it’s functional and beautiful:
- De-clutter. Keep the space tidy and free from clutter.
- Paint it white. It will look lighter and give the illusion of a bigger space.
- Choose furniture that has multiple purposes. Think a daybed that doubles as a guest bed. Or a shelving unit with a pull-down desk.
- Buy pieces with storage, like an ottoman with built-in storage
- Place artwork above eye level, drawing the eye upward.
- Designate the space as having a purpose. It can be a home office or a drinks area, for example.
- If the space has a window, hang draperies high above the actual window to make ceilings look higher and the area more airy.
- Not enough storage space out of view? Try open shelving, with pretty baskets, to store just about anything attractively.
- Use corners. Sectional sofas were designed for this purpose!